Designing Beyond the Garment: A Conversation with Madhunisha Das
What does it really take to transform creativity into something people genuinely want to wear?
What if great fashion isn't created by adding more but by knowing what truly matters?
Our next guest has experienced fashion from two of the world's most respected design institutions NIFT Mumbai and the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), New York, where she recently graduated Magna Cum Laude. From long studio nights and countless critiques to balancing artistic expression with commercial relevance, her journey reflects both creativity and discipline.
Joining us today is Madhunisha Das, a fashion designer currently interning with Reliance Retail, who believes that meaningful design isn't about making the most complicated garment, it's about creating something intentional, authentic, and capable of making people feel confident.
Let's explore a conversation about design thinking, creative identity, collaboration, craftsmanship, and the lessons hidden behind every collection.
Q1. You describe New York as a place that challenged you creatively and personally. Was there a particular project or critique at FIT that fundamentally changed the way you approach design?
One project that really changed the way I approach design was our capstone collection at FIT. I actually started ideating the concept and silhouettes almost six months before the final deadline because I wanted every detail to feel intentional. During the development process, my professor encouraged me to push much further outside my comfort zone.
I took that advice quite literally and decided to execute almost all of the surface development by hand using embroidery. It was incredibly rewarding creatively, but it also meant spending close to 50 hours just on the embroidery alone. In the end, I wasn't able to complete the entire project on time. Looking back, that experience taught me an important lesson. Innovation doesn't always have to come from making the most technically complex garment. Sometimes a strong concept, thoughtful silhouette, and well-executed details are far more powerful than trying to prove how much you can do. Since then, I've become much more conscious of balancing creativity with practicality. I still like to push myself, but I now design with a clearer understanding of time, craftsmanship, and execution, making sure the ambition of an idea doesn't compromise the final outcome.
Q2. Graduating with Magna Cum Laude honors reflects consistency as much as talent. What habits or routines helped you maintain both creativity and academic excellence during your time at FIT?
Graduating with Magna Cum Laude wasn't just about working hard academically—it was really driven by gratitude. I was incredibly grateful to have the opportunity to study at FIT and to have parents who supported me in pursuing that dream. Moving away from home and being in such a diverse, global environment made me realize that I had a responsibility to make the most of the opportunity. That mindset became my biggest source of motivation. In terms of habits, I tried to be disciplined and consistent. I made it a point to be on time for every lecture, stay back after classes to complete work, and meet every deadline, even if it meant pulling the occasional all-nighter. At the same time, I stayed curious by asking professors for feedback and continuously refining my work rather than settling for the first idea.
Q3. You've studied at both NIFT Mumbai and the Fashion Institute of Technology. Without comparing which is 'better,' how has each institution shaped a different aspect of your design philosophy?
Studying at both NIFT Mumbai and FIT has shaped different aspects of my design philosophy.
At NIFT, the curriculum is very structured and emphasizes building a strong foundation. It taught me the fundamentals of design—from textiles and garment construction to craftsmanship, research, and understanding the complete design process. That discipline gave me the technical confidence to bring ideas to life. FIT, on the other hand, encouraged me to think more like a designer in the industry. While maintaining high technical standards, it gave me the freedom to develop my own creative voice and challenged me to create work that was not only aesthetically strong but also commercially relevant. The projects often mirrored real industry scenarios, which taught me how to balance creativity with practicality, deadlines, and consumer needs.
Q4. You mention that your confidence in your creative voice has grown. How do you distinguish between designing something that reflects your own identity and designing something that meets commercial market needs?
I think the biggest difference is the intent behind the design process.
When I'm designing to express my own identity, I give myself much more freedom to experiment. It's a space for trial and error where I can explore concepts, silhouettes, materials, and craftsmanship without immediately thinking about commercial constraints. Those projects are often driven by storytelling and personal expression. Designing for a consumer, however, is much more research-driven. Before I even begin sketching, I spend time understanding the target audience—their lifestyle, preferences, price point, and what they're looking for in a product.
Every design decision then goes through multiple layers of evaluation:
- Is it wearable?
- Is it commercially viable?
- Does it solve a need while still feeling fresh?
Q6. As a Fashion Design Intern at Reliance Retail, what has been the biggest difference between designing in an academic environment and contributing within a large retail organization?
The biggest difference has been learning to design within an established brand identity. In an academic environment, you're encouraged to push boundaries, experiment freely, and develop your own creative style. The focus is often on exploring ideas without too many commercial constraints. At Azorte, even though I've only been there for about a month, I've realized that the first step isn't designing, it's understanding the brand.
I've spent a significant amount of time learning its design philosophy, aesthetic, customer profile, and product positioning before even thinking about creating new designs. Designing for a retail brand comes with certain boundaries, but I've come to see those boundaries as opportunities rather than limitations. Every design decision has to align with the brand's DNA while also appealing to its target consumer. It requires a lot more research, collaboration, and consideration of factors like market trends, customer preferences, pricing, and commercial viability.
Q7. You believe collaboration is essential to creating something extraordinary. Can you share an experience where another person's perspective significantly improved your own design or creative process?
One experience that really reinforced the value of collaboration was during my design portfolio class at FIT. We had regular critique sessions where we presented our work to professors and classmates, and everyone was encouraged to share honest feedback. Initially, it's a little intimidating because you're presenting something you've spent so much time creating. But I quickly realized that those discussions often made my work stronger.
Every creative person approaches design differently, so people would notice things I hadn't considered whether it was improving the silhouette, refining the concept, or simplifying certain elements to make the story clearer. I remember several instances where a classmate's perspective or a professor's suggestion helped me look at my work from a completely different angle. It wasn't about changing my vision, but about refining it. Those critiques taught me that collaboration isn't about compromising your ideas; it's about being open to perspectives that can elevate them.
Q8. You wrote that there's still so much to learn, explore, and create. Looking ahead, what kind of designer do you hope to become—not in terms of a job title, but in terms of the impact your work has on people and the industry?
Looking ahead, I hope to become a designer whose work makes people feel more confident and comfortable in their own skin. I'm particularly drawn to the field of intimate apparel because, as a consumer myself, I've experienced how the right intimate wear can completely change the way a woman feels about herself. It's not just about functionality, it's about confidence.
I believe this is an area that still has tremendous potential in the Indian fashion industry. While the market has evolved significantly, much of it still focuses on basic innerwear. At the same time, there's a growing generation of young women, especially Gen Z, who celebrate individuality, body positivity, and confidence. They're looking for products that make them feel empowered, whether they're at home or out in the world.
About Conversations by Brains in You
Conversations by Brains in You is a curated interview series featuring students, professionals, entrepreneurs, creators, researchers, and changemakers whose journeys offer meaningful lessons beyond conventional achievements.
Rather than focusing solely on titles or milestones, each conversation explores the decisions, experiences, challenges, and perspectives that shaped the individual behind the profile. The aim is to create a growing repository of practical insights that help students and young professionals navigate their own careers with greater clarity, productivity, integrity, and purpose.
Every featured conversation is thoughtfully selected with the belief that authentic experiences can inspire informed decisions, lifelong learning, and better human development.
Comments
Post a Comment